• It has been predicted that by the end of 2015 over 40% of film refiners will stop processing film and/or go out of business.
• If the industry's past is any indication this will result in many hospitals not getting paid for their HIPAA protected x-rays.
Over the next 5 years, as the volume of x-ray film available for recycling decreases by 75%, the number of "film refiners and dealers" will also decrease accordingly (this directly mirrors what occurred recently when radiology departments went digital in a similar 5 year period).
What’s At Risk?
As refiners close their doors, they are often unable to meet their payment obligations. This will create a domino effect for the dealers who will then be unable to make payments to their hospital customers.
• Within the above major trend lies a secondary trend regarding product mix
• As the amount of dryview film has increased over time, it has caused a backlog due to the extended processing time for this type of material
• The market will be flooded with unprocessed film with estimates of up to 15 million pounds
• Those who have locked in processing capacity will have an enormous advantage over their competitors
• Don’t find yourself on the wrong side of this capacity war
• In this environment, it’s even more important to ensure that you are ONLY doing business with companies that have extensive references, check those references and be sure to document all due diligence. This is Protected Health Information (PHI) after all.
• Insist on a plant tour (think HIPAA breach prevention). Even with our tight security, AMS welcomes scheduled plant tours for your piece of mind. Does your current vendor? Seeing is believing, don’t be deceived!
• All x-ray records are destroyed at our secure facility in accordance with our NAID AAA Certification (AAA is the highest security level achieved within NAID).
• Nearly a quarter of a century ago, AMS began doing business with Eastman Kodak Company, now Rochester Silver Works, LLC (RSW); they process millions of troy ounces of silver worth hundreds of millions of dollars annually. The sheer size of Rochester Silver Works, LLC dwarfs other film refiners which is why they are the most financially secure film refiner in the world.
• AMS has been in business for 35 years and working with RSW for more than 20 years. As their top producer of exposed x-ray film, AMS has the ability to offer its customers great rates and more importantly a much higher degree of financial stability and unmatched security certifications.